Introduction of the Writer
Regarding the Book of
Mormon
Who I Am
I am a late middle-aged, life-long
member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, commonly known as
the LDS, or Mormon Church. I was a full-time missionary of the church from 1974 to 1976,
and have since served in a variety of assignments in the various congregations to
which I have belonged. As a matter of fact, I can hardly remember a time since
my teenage years when I have not had a "calling.” Nonetheless, my experience with the church is pretty average, and not at all noteworthy in comparison to anyone else. I consider myself an
uncontroversial, committed, mainstream member, and pray to remain so to the end.
My
Testimony
As have many LDS members, I began my
personal study of the Book of Mormon at an early age, in my case, during my
teen-age years, seeking to obtain a "testimony" of its veracity.
Legion were the stories I had heard of "getting a testimony,” often in
dramatic, sudden, and miraculous fashion. It seemed like a rite of passage that was to my naive and immature mind almost a status symbol ... to be able to declare oneself capable of "personal revelation" and honestly say, "I know it is true without a shadow of doubt."
This mantle of personal prophecy and sure conviction eluded me. I read the book
cover to cover, expecting the "promise of Moroni" (Moroni 10:4-5) to
be fulfilled somewhere along the way, and although I tried to follow the
prescribed formula, it was a very long time, and many more cover to cover
readings before I recognized the whisperings of the Spirit of God to my soul
that really comprised the internal spiritual confirming witness of its truthfulness that I
had earlier expected to have been so easily obtained. It came to me in bits and
pieces over years, and gradually, my confidence has grown to the point where
now, I am devoid of doubt. I am convinced through my long personal experience, repeated
readings, and the spiritual peace derived from drinking deeply of its message,
that it is a true work of authentic scripture, the word of God, inspired
specifically to address the challenges of our day and time as written by
ancient prophets directed by Jesus Christ.
My
Purpose
As an LDS apologist,
therefore, I regard and talk about the Book of Mormon as a literally true message
of God to our present world. Its writers were true emissaries of Jesus Christ who
saw our day and time by way of prophetic revelation as given to them by the power of the Holy Ghost.
By virtue of this specific inspiration and direction they selected the most
important spiritual, doctrinal, cultural, military, and political dissertations
from their sacred library that were needed to inform and warn us in our time; to enable all who are willing to come unto Christ, build up his kingdom, and endure the prophesied tribulations leading up to His second advent and millenial reign. The writings were primarily compiled
by a prophet named Mormon, and later completed by his son, Moroni, from sacred writings originating from among the elders of the Jews
of Pre-captivity Jerusalem 600+ years BC, and handed down from prophet to prophet over the main timeline of 1000 years until 421 AD, the last recorded date.
This collection contained records not only from Western Hemisphere prophets,
but also inspired writings from pre-Abrahamic
Christian prophets, pre-Babylonian Jewish prophets such as Isaiah and Jeremiah, other prophets unknown to present-day bible scholars, the words of Jesus Christ himself delivered to New World disciples, and inspired dissertations of Mormon and Moroni. Since the book was "translated" by Joseph Smith
from divinely revealed engraved metal leaves, reported to have the appearance
of gold, by the gift and power of God in 1827-1829, it is an absolutely
truthful and authentic work of scripture. My purpose in publishing here is
to share whatever insights I can gain along my journey of daily study. I
include my musings and speculations in an attempt to relate its message to the cultural and political machinations of the
present, as inferred from the substance of the text, since many details, as
admitted by the writers, have been omitted in the interest of keeping the focus
of the narrative on their testimony of Jesus Christ, his atonement, mission, and plan, and conveying only those other particulars
approved by the Spirit of God. This priority is reiterated in several comments
by the writers; but along with the confessed narrow focus is included the
example explained by Nephi, the introductory author, whose teaching
approach was to “… liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our
profit and learning.” (1 Ne 19:23). This is part of my attempt to do just that.
Summary
of Content to be Shared
Some of what awaits the earnest student of the
Book of Mormon are numerous doctrinal passages by a multitude of
witnesses, as well as the Lord Jesus Christ himself setting forth in stunning
clarity and plainness his great atonement, its purpose, how it was wrought, its
necessity, and its efficacy. The doctrine of the fall of man brought about by
Adam and Eve, and its relationship to Christ's atonement and God's Plan of
Salvation are explained. In addition, the Book of Mormon contains many divinely
inspired interpretations of passages quoted directly from Pre-Babylonian Era prophets. It lays out the purpose of the Law of Moses and its
relationship to Christ's atoning sacrifice. One can find numerous principles of
political wisdom developed as the result of titanic contests between freedom-loving Christians who, though blessed with self-rule by virtue of a participatory governmental system, were chronically prone to internal fracture,
and hopelessly outnumbered; and their autocratic, parasitic, and subversive
adversaries from both within and without the constantly contested and highly
dynamic borders of their cultural and economic domains. Almost countless
passages of sublime testimony regarding the love of God toward mankind, His
blessings upon the obedient, and their hope of redemption, as well as the
ultimate wrath awaiting the lawless are to be found. In their eloquence and
powerful spiritual exposition, passage after passage is unsurpassed in any
other compilation of scripture. My conclusion, then, is that the Book of Mormon
is greatly under-appreciated, often even within the LDS Church, and
unjustifiably maligned from without. In my opinion, those who assert that the
grossly undereducated Joseph Smith might have been able to concoct such a
literary and theological masterpiece, or collude with some other genius or hoaxer, are unlikely to have seriously considered the
documented history of its translation and publication, let alone the depth, clarity, internal consistency, and compositional genius of its passages, and are just fooling
themselves and their gullible followers. I assert that it would be impossible for a lier, no matter how crafty or skillful, in other words, any protegee of Satan, to testify of Jesus Christ and his gospel, to condemn heresy and extol virtue, to preach repentance, love of fellowman, and faith in God, and to warn against sin as do the Book of Mormon writers. No grand deceiver, as Joseph Smith's critics claim him to be, could possibly produce a sublime testimony of Christ, for this defies the law of "by their fruits ye shall know them" as outlined in the New Testament (Matthew 7:16-20). The density and depth of the substance
of the Book of Mormon becomes more apparent and even astonishing with each successive reading. The proof of its authenticity is to be found verse by verse right within its own pages. Anyone who studies it seriously, prayerfully, and persistently cannot escape the conclusion that its publication in our
day and time is nothing short of a miraculous gift from God. As Moroni testifies in some of the very final verses:
Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. -- Moroni 10:3-5
And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. -- Moroni 10:3-5
Format for Posts
I am neither scholar nor particularly astute scriptorian. I only aim to understand what I am reading, by paraphrasing and interpreting the scenes and actions of the characters of the Book of Mormon and framing them in the current idiom. My posts will mostly be brief musings, commentary and quotes. A few are likely to be like the "Wow, look at that sunset!" comments we share with each other when remarking exultant beauty. If time permits, I may produce a few thoroughly researched cross-referenced remarks.
Conclusion and Disclaimer
Although I consider myself a staunch Mormon, I am not an official representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in my capacity as a commentator. Where pertinent, I may cite official statements from officials of the Church, but my interpretations are my own, and cannot be construed to represent the feelings, ideas, attitudes, or beliefs of any other member of the church, and certainly not its officials unless specifically cited. If you have made it this far, congratulations on having waded through a long exposition of my thoughts about the Book of Mormon and my purpose in writing about it. Please comment, agree, or disagree.
--Paul Macfarlane
No comments:
Post a Comment